Thursday 17 January 2013

Incredible Rumi, 13th century Persian Poet

Jalaluddin Mohammed Balkhi, fondly known as Rumi, is a 13th century poet (September 1207-December 1273) born in Wakhsh (modern-day Tajikistan). A Sufi mystic who wrote in Persian, his most famous work is the Mathnawi, a poem in six volumes. I discovered him only recently when I came upon excerpts of some of his works translated by Coleman Barks. I was struck by the beauty, simplicity of expression and depth in his verses.

Sample this:

'I didn't come here of my own accord, and 
I can't leave that way.
Whoever brought me here will have to take 
me home'.

'Come, come, whoever you are...
Come even though you have broken your vows a
thousand times,
Come and yet come again. Ours is not a caravan of despair'.

(from Soul of Rumi by Coleman Barks)

An interesting tidbit:
After his death his son Sultan Walad and his followers founded the Mevlevi Order, also called the Order of the Whirling Dervishes. They're famous for the Sufi dance in the Sama ceremony.

The epitaph on Rumi's tomb in Koyna (modern-day Turkey) says;
'When we are dead, seek not our tomb in the earth,
but find it in the hearts of men.'


1 comment:

  1. Hi, I am big big fan of Rumi's poems. On my recent visit to Turkey, I experienced Mevlevi Order sufi performance. As they say it was indeed soul cleaning. I wish I had read your quote of Rumi's tomb stone before I left. Such profound words.

    ReplyDelete