Sunday 27 January 2013

Power of the special quote

As a writer, I'm constantly striving for the right word, the perfect line for my characters to speak. We all know the power of great dialogue, immortal lines that are simple and yet, unforgettable. The American Film Institute recently compiled a list of 100 great movie quotes in the past 100 years. The number one spot went to Rhett Butler's rebuttal to Scarlet in Gone With the Wind:
"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn".
No surprises there, I guess, since it is perhaps the most often quoted line in cinematic history.
The second all-time favourite was also a hugely popular line- Marlon Brando in The Godfather:
"I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse."
The other popular ones were:

Harry Callan in Sudden Impact: "Go ahead, make my day."

Rick to Isla in Casabalanca: "Here's looking at you, kid."

Love Story's: "Love means never having to say you're sorry."

The Sixth Sense's: "I see dead people."

Arnie in Terminator 2: Judgement Day: "Hasta la vista, baby."

One of my favourite quotes is from Gladiator, the Ridley Scott bloodfest of 2000. It's the scene in which Commodus (Joaquin Phoenix) confronts Maximus (the very dishy Russell Crowe). Maximus is wearing a helmet and says in reply to Commodus's query that his name is Gladiator. Then he turns his back to the King. Commodus erupts in anger and orders him to remove his helmet and tell him his name. Maximus turns around slowly, faces the man who'd murdered his family, and says:
"My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the armies of the North, General of the Felix legions, loyal servant to the true emperor Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next."
Great stuff, or what?
What's your favourite quote?


No comments:

Post a Comment